Allergic reactions to eyelash extensions, while unlikely, can occur from time to time. While this can be unpleasant and disappointing, you should be aware of the possibility. Furthermore, it may just be a temporary irritation that you are experiencing.
Allergic Reaction or Irritation ?
Sometimes mistaken for an allergic reaction---and most common among lash wearers---is a temporary irritation. This includes redness of the eye, itchiness, and tearing of the eye. These symptoms are mild and should subside within the first 24 hours.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction, while rare, can present in different ways. Most commonly, symptoms include swelling of the eyes and/or eyelids, redness of the cornea and discomfort around the eye area. These symptoms usually show up within the first 48 hours after application.
Sometimes, clients may have a reaction to the eye pads used during application of lash extensions. For that situation, opting for surgical tape or hypoallergenic eye pads usually clears up any irritation.
When to be Concerned
Unfortunately, if you do have an allergic reaction to lash extensions, chances are, you will continue to have them. Furthermore, reactions will get worse as time goes on, or the more you are exposed to the allergen. You can opt to use the 'sensitive' lash adhesive which, with it's lower quantity of cyanoacrylate, may help you to avoid a reaction.
Cyanoacrylate is the adhesive element found in all eyelash adhesives. It is this ingredient which most commonly causes allergic reactions. Unfortunately, cyanoacrylate is a necessary ingredient for all lash extensions as it is what causes the bond between natural lash and extension.
There are some 'sensitive' lash adhesives available which contain a lower dose of cyanoacrylate, however, it is not possible to eliminate the ingredient all together.
Ask Your Lash Artist
If you are experiencing an allergic reaction, do not hesitate to contact your lash artist. Under no circumstances should you try to remove lash extensions yourself.